Sue Hewitson of Jerseyville awoke to such extreme pain that she decided to visit the Emergency Department in Brantford. An ultrasound revealed that a tumour was growing in her kidney.
Joanne was shocked when she was diagnosed with lung cancer in November 2013 – despite never smoking a day in her life.
Ben Fanelli from Waterloo nearly died in 2009. While playing for the Kitchener Rangers, an Ontario Hockey League (OHL) team, the 16-year-old was checked hard during a game and his head smashed into the boards.
“I noticed an unusual lump on my leg in 2009,” recalls Syl Corsini of Lynden. “I went to the local hospital for scans and a biopsy. That’s when I was diagnosed with lymphoma.”
Dr. Wes Oczkowski’s life was in danger, and he didn’t even know it. An intense pain developed in his chest one morning in February 2019 when he was clearing the snow from his car.
Constable Phil Sheldon of Beamsville was attempting to rescue a woman from a burning home in July 2015 when the house exploded, resulting in third- and fourth-degree burns to 50 per cent of his body.
Most people can enjoy the simple pleasures of eating a peanut butter sandwich or scrambled eggs. But for patients like Jaya from Hamilton, these foods can be deadly.
“I started to have double vision,” recalls Karolyn Pinili of Stoney Creek. “Something was definitely wrong, so I went to the Emergency Department at Hamilton General Hospital.”
“I suddenly started struggling to say simple words and common phrases,” says Paul Salazar of St. Jacobs, who was at the office in 2015 when the trouble began.
From the moment Madison “Madi” Leal from Guelph was born, her parents Sarah and Luis knew she would have a unique journey in life.