Update: June 2016:  It’s been over two years now since Riley Dunda suffered his stroke. Much has happened since then. After almost two full years of intensive rehabilitation, as an inpatient, outpatient and independently on his own, Riley has beat the odds and to a large degree the impacts of the ischemic stroke that changed his life in an instant. Riley has regained substantial use of his right leg, foot, arm and incredibly his right hand as well. He has been attending broadcasting school at Niagara College, accumulating three credits and start full-time in September. Riley returned to driving in April of 2016 and is working two part-time jobs in the summer to save money for school.  There are still some challenges and adaptations that he is making along the way and will continue to make as life gradually returns to a new normal. Thanks to the tremendous work of the stroke team at Hamilton General Hospital, the gifted doctors, the leading edge equipment and techniques, and the state of the art rehab facilities and his own will and determination, Riley has regained his life. There is indeed, life after stroke – and a good one.  Please take the time to donate now and help someone else be the next Riley. It’s important.

Offline donations by Cheque can be mailed to:

Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation
P.O. Box 739, LCD 1
Hamilton, ON L8N 3M8

Make payable to: Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation
Indicate #FightRileyFight in memo area

Riley’s Story

On May 3, 18-year-old Hamilton Red Wings player Riley Dunda suffered a massive stroke while at home watching NHL playoff highlights on TSN.  That morning, Riley had stepped into the kitchen to grab something to eat, when he suddenly collapsed.

Riley was rushed to nearby West Lincoln Memorial Hospital in Grimsby and quickly transferred to Hamilton General Hospital, where doctors located the blockage and determined it was too large for clot-busting drugs, the standard treatment, to be effective. Riley needed emergency specialized treatment if they were to save any function in the affected areas of his brain.

Riley is extremely lucky that the interventional neuroradiology team was in place at the hospital that day. Within just a few hours of his stroke, members of this highly specialized service had restored blood flow by guiding a catheter through his blood vessels up into his brain and retrieving the clot.

Riley spent time recovering at the Regional Rehabilitation Centre at the Hamilton General site where he underwent intensive rehabilitation therapy. Riley initially had limited motion in his right side and some language and speech deficits, however has made significant leaps in his recovery over the past months. Riley is facing a long road to full recovery, but is making improvements on a daily basis.

Riley and his family are grateful for the expert care he received and are determined to use this tragic incident to do something positive. They are asking friends, family and the thousands of supporters who have reached out to make a donation to Hamilton General Hospital Foundation in support of the Stroke Program and its interventional neuroradiology service.

Please click on the button below to make a donation to Hamilton General Hospital Foundation in support of the #FightRileyFight campaign.